Randomize books


Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Pegasus in Flight

This was my first encounter with the work of Anne McAffery and initailly I found the plot confusing and hard to follow - particularly as the environment, characters and even the language were described but not explained. After a short while however, the pieces began to fit together and the world of the Talants started to take shape so that by the end of chapter 2 I was spellbound, caught up in the high tension and pacy plot.
For me reading the book was like watching a movie. I put this down to the effective use of 3 writing techniques. First the extensive use of dialogue - either in the form of thought or words gave the impression that I was observing rather than being told throught narrative what was going on between the characters. Second the use of "sets" which drew largely on the familiar but with plausible futuristic twists enabled the writer to create a new world without the need to give lengthy descriptions. Lastly the use of short chapters which cut into each other like scenes, heightened the whole cinema feel to this book, particularly toward the end of the book when the plot began to move more quickly towards its final climax. I will definately read more of her works.

Download

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive